Saturday, January 17, 2009

Beauty in the heart of sadness....

Just last year the daughter of a woman in our ward passed away at the young age of 30. I had the opportunity to give of my services in helping with the funeral flowers. The family didn't have a large budget for the funeral last year and so the daughter was cremated. They requested that I make a wreath of silk flowers to go around the urn. I was pleased to help where I could and gave of my services for free.

Although the family is inactive, I hope that because of the love and service given by members in our ward they will someday feel comfortable enough to start coming to church again. This year I was called again by the Relief Society president to help with the mother's funeral flowers. I, again, was glad to help. Though I feel it was unfortunate that the same family who mourned a death last year for a daughter & niece is now mourning for a sister & mother.... it was somehow easier for me to work with the family. I felt much more comfortable offering words of kindness to them.

I think the flowers turned out nicely... they were exactly what they requested, a wreath for the urn and a long low arrangement to sit in front of a large picture of the woman who died.
This is a birds eye picture of the low arrangement:

And this was how the wreath for the urn turned out:

There are some things I like and don't like about being a floral designer. One thing I don't enjoy the most about my line of work is having to deal with mourning families. But the thing that makes funeral work easier on them and myself is knowing that I can give ugly circumstances a beautiful piece of art to remember their loved ones by.
I hope that all of you can show love to the ones you love most today!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Those flowers are lovely, and what you did to help that family was admirable!

The Undertaker said...

The flowers are really nice. I am a death care consultant and your blog caught my eye. It made me think about how death affects floral designers. Thank you.
I have seen the effects flowers have on a grieving family. Flowers bring color, beauty, emotion, and energy to a memorial gathering.
For more ideas on flowers for a funeral check out...

http://funeralideas.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=30

Jennifer P. said...

I know that the flowers at a funeral bring a sense of beauty to an otherwise sad moment. I love seeing the room filled with arrangements sent with love to help comfort a grieving family.

Your arrangements were gorgeous! and I'm sure very appreciated by the family.

The Cranes said...

The flower arrangements are just beautiful Kati! You are so talented. I think it is great that you were able to donate your time and talents to this family. I just love seeing you and your family at church each week, you are such a great family and just can light up a room! How is Quincy doing with the potty training? He is just growing so quickly, I am sure I don't have to remind you though :)

Kati Howard said...

Ms. Undertaker.... Out of sheer curiosity, I would like to know just how you came across my blog.

Thank you everyone for the nicest comments... I love what I can do and am always obliged to help others out with what talents I have.

lindquist said...

all right we want a new background something peppy or valentiny. and a good one that does not blend with the words so grammie can read it


xxoo
grammie

qbear say mooooo

lindquist said...

Um, I don't think "GRAMMIE" has trouble reading.. (or trouble using capitalization, punctuation, etc.) cough cough!

xxoo
The REAL Grammie

Q - say tweet tweet!

Kati Howard said...

I knew from the second I read that imposter grammie comment it wasn't the real grammie writing. It's still January... I'll change it to something else in February!