Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Another vow broken

Well, it's happened again.

I have broken another Mom Vow.
Like I said, before I became a mother, I would never:
* give my child a binky off the dirty floor/ eat anything off the floor
* let my child have a runny snotty nose
* go out of the house unless they were properly dressed, in a coordinating outfit of course
* drink pop, which in all fairness this one was mostly broken via grandparents/ aunts/ uncles
* eat food from my child's plate or anything that had been in their mouth
* have a binky past the age of 1, which for the most part we stick to this one--there have been a few emergencies and exceptions though
* cry loudly in public, specifically church
* buy my child something to shut them up while I'm in public
And the list went on................
Since becoming a REAL mom, I have realized that some of my Mom Vows were somewhat unrealistic and I have been willing to accept that, however, there have still been times where I simply have to draw the Mom Vow Line. Wednesday morning, after Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde visited the night before was another low moment in my history as a mother.
I will openly admit to breaking yet another one of my Mom Vows ......................................(as I hang my head in shame)
I was trying to get ready in the morning and Quincy was constantly in my hair. I couldn't get anything done. After much frustration I finally took him by the hand, walked with him to the family room, found the remote, and turned on the TV.
***Gasp***
Even in the moment I still couldn't believe I was committing such an ugly Mom Vow crime against myself, but I will admit it felt good. In fact, I was able to get ready in 15 minutes verses having to pry Quincy off my legs every 5 minutes.
Now, I don't hold anything against those mother's who openly admit to letting their children watch hours of TV a day. That is purely their choice as a parent. The main problem I have with kids watching TV, is WHAT they are watching.
Whatever happened to all those wholesome good cartoons like:
Those were classic children's cartoons. Since then, kid TV seems to have grown up WAAAaaaYYY too much. The girls are flirting boys, there is far more violence, the pure fact that the cartoons reflect a certain image in which boys and girls are supposed to imitate simply disgusts me. This is why I Mom Vowed not to plop my kid in front of the TV. I will also add, that I give props to PBS for still showing wholesome and educational programs. Some of the shows on these channels I will permit Quincy to watch. But at the young tender age of 2 years old is it necessary to sit him in front of the tube for an hour? I think not. I would much rather him use his imagination, read, construct, or be active.
But we're not all perfect at permitting our kids to do these things all the time, which is why for 15 minutes I willingly admit to getting some relief from those rotten, non-educational, no-good cartoon shows.

1 comment:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Thanks for sharing. Don't feel too bad. You're doing great especially since you're pregnant. Plus it's hard to get me-time for yourself. I'm worried how I'll be able to handle it all when I become pregnant again.