Friday, October 28, 2011

17 weeks....

Wow, 17 weeks and counting....

See the belly growing??

While we were doing some Christmas shopping last weekend (I know, it's still October, but I like doing it all -- at least as much as I can-- before Thanksgiving) something occurred to me. You know how when you're in a crowd, people you pass sometimes acknowledge you by glancing at your face and then moving on to the next person.? Well-- I made the observation that NOW people glance at my eyes/ face and then immediately direct their attetion to my stomach. I guess I can be reassuraed about the fact that I AM pregnant and they aren't staring for other reasons.... but it's slightly disconcerning. It's like I have this urge to say: "Look, up here! Ignore that big huge rounding mass on my mid section."

What's most humorous is when I see VERY pregnant women glance at my belly. It's a mixed reaction that reads *I wish my belly were still that small* or perhaps *Enjoy that tiny tummy while it lasts THIS  is what you have to look forward to!*

There isn't very much else to report... I went into the Doctor this week for my blood/ lab tests (fun stuff)... at least I only got stuck once by the lab technician. I've definitely had worse experiences when having blood drawn. Ever been stuck like 10 times BEFORE they drew any blood? I have. It's no walk in the park. So for the time being Maria is my new favorite blood draw-er. :)

I suppose there is some bad news/ good news too. During my appointment my doctor confirmed that I will most likely (like 90%) HAVE to have another ceserean. In some ways this is comforting-- like the part of me that gets to choose my delivery date and time. The part that gets to pack my bags and have my house cleaned. The part that gets to make child sitting arrangements for the boys. All these things are nice for my slightly OCD behavior and control issues.

The downside? I've had two c-sections before. A blessing and a curse. I know EXACTLY what I have to look forward to. A safe delivery, but LOTS of pain. I always react badly to the drugs, usually resulting in lots of vomiting-- which is always super fabulous after major surgery in your abdominal area. When I delivered Braxton I at least had all this knowledge from Quincy's delivery, however, even WITH anti-nausea medication during my c-section I STILL ended up vomiting afterwards. It was better than after I had Quncy, but still not fun. Eventually with the help of many nurses I found a patch put behind my ear to be most effective in making the vomiting go away. Again, good to have the knowledge-- since I'll be doing it a third time. Maybe we can try and make it more pleasant? Downside factor #2: I cannot take any pain medication. The only thing that my body will tolerate (and that is safe to take while still nursing) is Ibuprofen and extra strength Tylenol.

Have you ever heard of anyone who's had major surgery taking over the counter drugs to help them tolerate the pain? No. And for those reasons alone I'm feeling a little terrified about c-section #3.

It's a little difficult to accept the fact that my body isn't necessarily suitable for vaginal baby deliveries. I apparently have a heart shaped pelvis. The desired shape is oval. Thus my babies aren't able to descend their little heads down into the proper position to have a regular delivery. On the one hand I'm thankful for the fact I can have children, but discouraged about how much pain is involved each time. There is nothing natural about being cut open and re-cut open again and again to get my precious little ones out. No disrespect to any women who have had vaginal deliveries. It's just that there's nothing comforting about the knowledge of pain that will be involved and the fact that I basically can't do anything about it.



I'm a tough girl.
(Right? Says the tiny voice in my head.)


 I can handle it, or rather, I HAVE to handle it. There is no other way.

The good news---- don't worry there is some. I was able to schedule my ultrasound to find out Pula's gender. The official date is November 11th. Nice and early too. Tyler is still holding out hope of getting tickets to the BSU game that weekend and insisted I schedule the ultrasound early IN CASE we had to drive to Boise that weekend. So yeah. We'll be up REAL early for my 7:30AM check in. Even if we don't end up going to Boise, it will still be a nice way to start a 3 day weekend.

So... put in your last guesses family and friends as to what our little Pula will be. In just 16 short days we will know. :)

6 comments:

lindquist said...

I think Pula is a GUUUUUURL!!!!!

Also, it DOES suck that you can't take the pain meds. I'm sure it's hard to sit back and say "I'm counting my blessings"...and "There's always someone worse off than me".... ya. *BUT*, it is what it is - and I know you'll do great (even if it's rough for a while). We will do all we can to help out, too!!! Just let us know what you need!!!!!!
Love,
Mom

Kati Howard said...

Thanks mom. :)

Spencer Lindquist said...

BOY!!!!!!!!!

Kati Howard said...

Yeah yeah.... Probably so Spencer, but I'm hoping girl since this will probably be the last.

Unknown said...

Wow. It amazes me what woman do to bring babies into this world. Stay strong Kati! You've done it before!

BurchBox said...

Kati,

Thank you so much for all the details of your newest trial. You did a wonderful job of writing and letting the readers feel your emotions and thoughts.

I know the Lord will bless you with the assurance to know you will be able to handle what ever lies ahead. I want you to know you will be in my prayers. I love you and only wish the best for you and your entire family.

Love You.......Big Vicky