Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Elder Lindquist

(This is the family picture we took right after the sacrament meeting that Scott last spoke in. It's weird to think that we won't have another family picture with everyone in it for 4 years because Scott and Karter will overlap missions.)
WOW!
It's hard to believe that my brother, Scott, has been in the MTC for almost 3 weeks now. This coming Tuesday he will be leaving the MTC and reporting to the mission field in Tempe, AZ.
Scott is serving in the Spanish speaking mission. Since he has been taking Spanish since he was in middle school he hasn't had too difficult of a time learning the language, or at least the gospel oriented parts of it. In his last email he told us that he's finally starting to THINK in Spanish, not English which has made teaching/ speaking a lot easier for him. Tyler and I talk about his mission often- especially now that Scotty's gone-- and that one of the most difficult aspects of learning a new language was to stop thinking from English to Portuguese. He told me by the end of his mission, though, he felt so comfortable with the language that it was more difficult to think from Portuguese to English!
(Some of Scott's friends from College -Central Washing University- came to visit him for his 'farewell' weekend. None of them are members.)
I'm sure Scotty will experience some of this too-- as I was reading his last email some of the order of his words were grammatically incorrect in English, but I could tell he was thinking in Spanish. We are constantly reassured that he is healthy, happy, and knows that he is in the RIGHT place!
(I know this picture is an old one, obviously because Braxton is like 2 weeks old, but unfortunately I didn't get one of Scotty and the boys before he left. They are going to be so big when he gets home!)
We love you Elder Lindquist! You are thought of often....

2 comments:

lindquist said...

What a nice post. We miss him too. But our happiness FOR him outweighs any sadness we may have. I wonder how many more babies will be here by the time Scott & Karter are both back from serving.... Hmmm.
Love,
Mom

Kati Howard said...

Well after the last two rough days I've had... I think it might only be 1.... If your lucky! I love my boys, but thought of having one more is just too much :)