Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day

I can't think of how we could have gotten any more lucky than to have Tyler in our lives. 
He is excellent at rough housing, chasing little ones around the house, throwing and kicking balls of various shapes and sizes, he's good at reading, watching movies and laughing in all the right places right along with the kids, giving piggy back rides, he's good at bringing treats home-- even when they've been naughty, he's good at taking our family on adventures, and soaking in every second of the craziness, but most importantly he's excellent at  loving our children only the way a daddy can. 

We are so thankful for Tyler and all he does! 
I got up early, since I could hear all the kids awake, being ever so careful not to wake Tyler up. I managed to get all the kids in the kitchen and reminded them to stay quiet so dad could sleep. I told them we were going to make breakfast for him. I had planned to make an omelette, which halfway through was changed to just some scrambled eggs with peppers, cheese, and ham in it. I just don't have the paitience or the pans to make good omelettes-- this is Tyler's breakfast specialty, maybe someday I'll learn. I did, however, make up the difference by whipping up and delicious smoothie. Who says your teenage job at Jamba juice won't serve you well later in life? 

By the time breakfast was ready the kids' volume level had increased ten-fold and Zayden was yelling 'ma ma ma ma ma!' As I was setting the plates on the table Tyler appeared from no where and said, "sheesh, Z-- you are SO loud!" I apologized, hoping that he would be able to sleep at least until 9:00, because really, when does that EVER happen?? But I guess 8:45 is as good as it gets when you have noisy children. After getting in a hearty breakfast I sent Tyler away from the table and started prepping for dinner.
Yes, dinner prep following breakfast. This is what happens when you have dumb 2-5:00 church. I don't have any time for dinner prep when we get home from church, by then everyone is STARVING! (Which is why Sunday's are usually crockpot dinners). However, Tyler's meal request was steaks. So I threw together a nice marinade and stuck them in the fridge to soak, then got to work at cleaning and cutting up a bunch of potatoes for homemade fries and cutting up watermelon for a side. It was exhausting, but dinner prep was finished by 11:00! Tyler spent this time relaxing on the couch and watching golf. I managed to get the kids mostly ready for church before hustling two into their rooms for naps. I had 30 minutes of down time where I watched HGTV shows on Hulu and Tyler enjoyed some more golf....
After church we fired up the new BBQ, Tyler did the grilling, and our steaks turned out great! Dinner was delicious and we spent the rest of the night watching the playoffs, and when I say "we", let's be honest, I mean Tyler and the boys. NBA ball isn't my thing. 
The boys finally went to bed around 8:30 and I was ready to crash, but it was all worth every bit of effort to spoil Tyler for all that he does for us. 

And now for a little flashback on some of Tyler's best moments as a dad. :) 

To be completely honest I think I had seen Tyler hold a total of 3 babies before we had Quincy. However, any doubts I had about his abilities to deal with a baby were diminished the second I laid eyes on him gently holding Quincy for the very first time in his arms. It was only too obvious, he was a natural born daddy... 





 









 

A daddy of one became a daddy to two... and Tyler handled it like a champ...

And by March of 2012, Tyler became a daddy to three. 
He has loved every second of it and you can tell he's really in his element with three boys! 

We sure love him!

1 comment:

Laynah said...

Crock pot dinners on Sunday are the way to go! Even if you don't have 2-5 church, who wants to cook on Sunday? Your best-of throwback pictures of him are too sweet! Love them.