Sunday, June 9, 2013

Father/ Son Camp Out

Tyler should be writing all about the details of his Father/ Oldest sons camp out, but that's not going to happen.... The short version is that they had lots of fun getting treats and food at Winco, set up their tents, played football and explored, toasted marshmallows for s'mores, and went to bed super late. They woke up about 7:30 and decided to go for a short walk on one of the nearby trails before breakfast. 

What was supposed to be a "short" walk resulted in them getting a little lost and walking down a detour of a trail for almost 2 hours. Tyler ended up carrying Braxton on his shoulders for the last mile. Quincy was distracted from all the walking by snails and lizards. They were still in good spirits, although probably pretty tired, when they finally made it back to the camp ground. 

By the time they got back breakfast was pretty much done, but the bishopric were nice enough to make a couple more pancakes for the boys. They leisurely took their time to break down tents and even managed to squeeze in a short round of Frisbee golf with some friends before heading home. They all looked dirty and tired, but were happy when they finally came home. 

Z and I couldn't let the big boys have all the fun so we went for a walk together down to our neighborhood Walmart and got a redbox movie. In hind sight I probably should have opted for the chick flick instead of the scary horror movie, but the idea of being alone and watching a drama which would make me cry sounded more depressing. Besides, I'm more of a scary movie kind of girl anyways... I figured I could handle it if I started it while it was still light out. I rented the movie MAMA, which was pretty creepy more than scary. 

Overall I enjoyed it, what bothered me most was that I didn't have a hand to hold and no Tyler to snuggle with once I headed off to bed. Z and I shared a bowl of Bunny Tracks ice cream and brownies. Zayden LOVED this and wasn't too happy about taking a picture with mom. (See below). He fell asleep around 7:30, which left me by myself for 4 more hours before I felt tired enough to go to bed.

 I hate sleeping alone. I sprawled out in the middle of the bed and tossed and turned for multiple hours. I think eventually I fell alseep around 12:30 in the morning. I forgot to turn off the dumb alarm clock which went off at 6:20, went back to sleep and then finally got up around 8:30 to get Z up. At least it was nice to sleep in a little. Next time the boys go out I'm calling for a girls night! So glad to have all my boys home!


Oh and to make up for leaving me alone Tyler took me out on a date. I arranged with Scott and Kelli to have them come down and babysit the boys... which they were all too happy to do. I mean, if you're gonna be paying for a sitter you may as well have it be family whom you love and trust. We went to Outback for dinner. The food was good and our bellies were stuffed when we left. After dinner we headed to down town Gresham for dessert at a frozen yogurt place. I was still stuffed so opted to just nibble a couple of bites of Tyler's really fruity fro-yo combination.

 It was so nice to just sit and leisurely eat a meal without having to pick up food off my clothes or the floor, have a conversation without being interrupted, and hold my sweethearts hand while we walked through the streets. 




I love Date Nights!



2 comments:

Gage said...

There is NOTHING like eating a meal without kids! I thought it was tough with one... two is crazy. It's a miracle if I eat anything before everyone else is done. I can't imagine three!

Those pictures with Zayden are hilarious - he definitely loved the icecream! haha. And I'm amazed that you can watch scary movies alone - I would cry. Straight up sob. I am such a ninny when it comes to being scared.

Oh! And you had to WAKE Z up?! Are all of your kids good sleepers? I'd love to read a post about your view on kids and sleeping. I need some ideas.

:)

Kati Howard said...

Baha ha ha... No, I am definitely not an expert on getting my children to sleep. Q HATES to sleep, even as a baby he would protest it. However, with that said all 3 of them are excellent sleepers, when they're out... they're OUT! Nothing wakes them up. I think the house was just unusually quiet without our little built in alarm clock (B) to wake everyone up-- he's our early morning pooper, usually the first one awake.

I will say curtains help, my boys usually stay asleep longer if the room is darker. And their toys are in the closet, which aids in less temptation to get out of bed at night. Although, the older two will get out books to read in the morning... so do what you will with that helpful "tip". :) It depends on the kids, some need more sleep, some less. Q doesn't nap and will sleep longer in the AM, B naps during the day (for my sanity) and wakes earlier in the morning. Not sure if any of that is helpful. ha ha