Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The fourth of July

I love America. 
I love every thing that it stands for. 

We started our Fourth by going to our ward Pancake Breakfast. They had a flag raising ceremony and a choir sang some patriotic songs. It was rather chilly that morning, with a light breeze and I couldn't help but feel goosebumps as the scouts lifted the flag to full height on the pole. I noticed a cyclist peddling by our ceremony on the main road stop his bike, remove his helmet and place his hand over his heart. He clearly was on his way somewhere else and just watching the gesture made me feel choked up. It made my heart swell to see this stranger show his respects for the symbol of our Country..to see him lift his eyes to the flag and look with reverence to it's waving stars and stripes. As citizens we have differences, but it's refreshing to witness that we can stand UNITED and embrace the fact that we live in such a blessed country. 
I'm so grateful to live in a free country. 

I love the USA.  

I love being able to celebrate our country's Birthday. 
In her honor we made a cake, the boys really were looking forward to this.
 It was pretty delicious. 
We decided on having a BBQ at home and then later in the afternoon headed over to Corbett, OR with some friends to watch a firework show. We have never been to the Corbett show, but I have to say it was pretty awesome. There were vendors, and bouncy houses and slides for the kids. There were water bounce slides and the kids had fun eating sno-cones. We had some yummy food, and enjoyed wonderful company, but mostly I was just grateful to take a moment and celebrate the fact that I live in such a promised land. 

God bless America, land that I love. 
Stand beside her and guide her, 
Through the night with a light from Above. 
From the mountains to the prairies, 
To the oceans white with foam. 
God bless America, my home sweet home. 

And that's exactly how I feel, that our great Nation will be blessed and protected by our loving Father from up above. 

No comments: