Wednesday, April 17, 2013

DIY Project #3

When Tyler and I were planning on getting married I made a conscious decision to use silk flowers for my wedding. It made it FAR less stressful-- our wedding was in May and my flowers were done in March-- and seeing as how we were having two receptions in two different states it made it awfully convenient for reusing the flowers. I mean, if you're gonna spend the money you might as well get to use it more than once, right? With that being said I have used some our wedding reception decor in our home, but never had a "use" for my bridal bouquet. My mom, being more of the sentimental one, kept it at her house for me. 
I finally came up with a great way that I could recycle my bouquet. I started to dissemble it (boy was it made well, after almost 7 years it was holding up quite well-- **pat on the back**--) and carefully took parts that I thought I could use again and the parts that weren't really falling into the look I was going for got stashed for another project. :) 

Waste not, want not.... 
Tyler gave me a hard time about tearing apart my wedding bouquet, but I reasoned that I planned to get  married once and had no use for a bridal bouquet anymore. Besides, I don't have daughters to pass it onto ... not that it would necessarily be to their taste either. 

Instead of just tossing it out, or keeping it stashed away in a closet, I made it into our front door wreath. I have to admit, I'm NOT particularly sentimental (I throw "thoughtful" stuff away all the time. A good purge makes me SO happy. In fact, I think Tyler's more sentimental than I am) but I LOVE the fact that every time I walk through our front door I see those flowers and it reminds me of my wonderful husband and the special day we were sealed together forever. 

 In my opinion it's a far better use of those flowers than preserving them in their useless bridal bouquet state. 
What do you think? 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SO CUTE!! I actually did the same thing with my bouquet you made for me. I pretty much had the same reasoning as you. I didn't want to hold on to it forever, and thought it would be fun re-purposed somehow. I love how it serves as a reminder of our special day and hangs by our front door.

I think you did an amazing job!

Kati Howard said...

I want to see PICTURES Kristen!