Monday, April 14, 2014

More DIY... a big boy's room

It would seem that I'm always working on some sort of project, which if you're married to a budget man like I am and have the need to change things up, then yes... there's always going to be a project when you don't really have the means to buy everything brand new. 

I'm certainly not complaining. I actually do enjoy giving something old and ugly new life again. 
Lately I've been on the hunt for a desk for Quincy's big kid room. I finished his book shelf recently and needed to get him a desk for doing his homework and for additional storage. I was hunting on craigslist daily. Finally I found a nice solid wood desk that was the right size and scale for his room with the perfect price tag: $10.00. The added bonus was that it was only 5 minutes from our house to pick up. 

Now this isn't the first time that I've been guilty of getting too antsy to finish my DIY projects that I get them started before I realize I forgot to take my 'before' picture. So here is the desk... top already with a coat of black paint on it. Ugh. But you get the idea. It was brown before... and simple... and little to no hardware on the drawers, which I didn't mind since I was going to replace what was on there anyways. 

BEFORE: 

AFTER:
Don't mind the stool, it's a loaner from my parents until I can find just the right size chair for him. I dream of getting him a Ghost chair, but unfortunately those aren't in the budget. :( At least the stool is functional for now and it fits him fine. It could also be painted too.... though that means another 'project'. ha ha 
Will it never end?? 

Instead of having to tape off the drawers or paint the drawers I decided to get scrapbook paper and Modge Podge the sides of them. It's a nice pop of color when you open them and was less time consuming than tape or pant. I like the little details, like this. 
Even though the desk is pretty clean lined there are some details on the legs that look slightly feminine (to me at least) and seeing as how I wanted this desk in a boys room I opted for clean modern hardware which (hopefully) balances it out a bit more. 

I've been wanting to do something with these empty Nesquick cans. They were a good size for storage and even came with fitting lids. I came across an idea on Pinterest and put it in motion. I actually love how they turned out. I ended up putting felt on the bottom so they wouldn't scrape any paint off the painted bookshelf while Quincy slides them on and off to get toys out of them.I ditched the lids because they didn't go with the rope.

 I love a good re-purposed project. 
BEFORE:    and   AFTER: 
Prior to getting a desk I decided that Q needed some place to store his toys. The under-the-bed-in-plastic-totes-system wasn't working. It ended up being a huge mess under his bed and fight to get them back in bins when he could just "hide" them where no one was the wiser to his clean up methods. Plus I wanted to bring more books in his room for reading and up until that point they were all in the little boys room. 

I found a post for a FREE laminate bookshelf and the pick up place was 2 minutes from our house. I convinced Tyler to go pick it up with me. It wasn't in great shape, but I knew it had potential to be good. I came up with an idea of putting wainscoting on the back to give it some architectural detail similar to the detail in his twin headboard and foot-board and went to purchase primer and black paint. After also buying some new pegs for the shelf I spent maybe a total of $25.00. I think it turned out pretty good. 
BEFORE:
AFTER: 
I like that now he has a spot for all his stuff and it's still nicely displayed, but functional as well.. which of course was top priority! 


All in all, I think his room is coming together nicely. I'd like to get him new bedding, though his functions quite fine. And I'd LOVE to get some artwork on his walls, but for now... (as with almost all DIY projects) you have to wait for just the right time and price to come along before it'll be "finished". :)




1 comment:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

So nice! I love seeing what people do with old furniture. I was not given that kind of vision ability and I just love seeing others who do have it! Such a great desk and bookcase and fun containers. Looks like they came that way. :)