Monday, March 15, 2010

Before and After Projects.... fianlly....

It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally getting around to posting pictures of my many before and after pictures...

First, one of my big projects was Quincy's big boy bed. In our ward in Boise we had the pleasure of knowing the Lines family. When they heard that Quincy was transitioning from crib to bed they so generously offered to give us a captains bed they no longer needed. Of course we gladly accepted. The bed was a piece of furniture hand made by a member of their family, and Tyler will attest that it is very sturdily made! The only thing I didn't like about the bed was that it was painted white. I don't think there are very many parents in their right minds who WANT white furniture for the toddlers. I've always felt that it just screams: "COLOR ALL OVER ME WITH CRAYONS, MARKERS AND PENS!" So the once white bed was repainted black. A very safe color for a little 2 year old boy, if I don't say so myself.



Second, I had a project of sewing some throw pillows for Quincy's bed and a matching changing pad cover for Braxton. I came across the fabric at Goodwill... although it was from IKEA originally. Since my sewing skills aren't anything fabulous, my capabilities include sewing in straight lines, my mom came to the rescue. I think we did a great job coming up with a useful way to incorporate that cute hippo fabric I bought from the Goodwill.


Third, were my projects in the living room. I was fortunate to "inherit" a piece of furniture from my great-grandma on my mom's side. She had this cute little coffee table that was made by her son in a shop class in high school. The best thing about the table, aside from it style and great quality, is that the legs unscrew for transporting. This little special feature was great when we were moving from college and lacked room for odd shaped things. I love the coffee table, but wasn't fond of the light colored stain on it. After several hours sanding and re-staining I was unable to get the dark ebony color I was hoping for. I spent another few hours re-sanding and stripping it to start over. This was the worst part, but I found the perfect way to refinish it.... with India ink. Yes, it's ink for caligraphy pens. After painting on the black ink, I sealed it with a smooth clear finish. I think that it turned out great. Now it looks more modern and goes well with our other furniture.


Fourth, was my lamp purchased from the salvation army.....I have found some of the best table lamps from second hand stores. This lamp was a lovely copper color, which wasn't so horrible, but not what I had in mind. Also, the lamp was missing the shade. No worries. I primed it with some spray paint and then then sprayed on a green color. I was able to find the perfect shade at..... IKEA. You've gotta love IKEA! And ta-da...... a brand new custom lamp.


Fifth, was my mirror project. This one was a little involved to say the least. This mirror was something else I found at the Salvation Army. It was regularly $25, which wasn't a terrible price seeing as how the mirror is 3X5 feet big, BUT I went on their 50% off day and so I got it for $12.50! Not too bad. After purchasing some wood from Home Depot and more India Ink.... I was back to $25, BUT mirrors are expensive, especially one of that magnitude. I don't feel so bad because now I have a custom mirror that packs quite a punch up on our wall.


Sixth, were my shadow box picture frames from IKEA. They were bought brand new, but I wanted them to look more custom.... SOooo I used some leftover fabric from the rocking chair I re-covered in Quincy's room to go over the mat inside he frame. I think they look nice and add a little more color on my walls... since I can't paint.

Seventh, was replacing some curtains in our bedroom. Now the curtains we had before weren't SO bad, it was actually one curtain turned sideways and cut in half to make two. a few weeks ago I just happened to be at the Goodwill down the street from us when I saw two matching 7ft tall, blue curtains that were brand new, still in the bag, from Target. Of course I had to get them. I only paid $19.98 for the both of them... which was less than half of what I would have paid for one of them alone.



And my Eighth and last project was Braxton's cradle. Again, while I was at the Salvation Army with my mom we found the perfect size cradle for Braxton. Although we have a crib, we never had a small bassinet or play pen for baby before they slept in our room. After comparing prices of play pens I decided that for the few months Braxton would be sleeping in our room this cradle would be perfect. It was $5.00.... and of course I managed to be shopping for it on 50% off day... so I paid a whopping $2.50 for it. Again, the white paint had to go... so I used the leftover paint from Quincy's bed. Then I happened to have a pillowcase from Quincy's new bedding that fit perfectly as a 'fitted sheet'. Everyone who comes over and sees it thinks it's the cutest thing, but for us it's just practical.



Stay tuned over the years, because I'm sure I'll have many more 'before and after' projects. If only I remember to take pictures!

4 comments:

Price Family Adventures!!! said...

Wow!!! You are so talented. I love all your projects they look awesome. Way to go.. Great job on thirftness too.

The Hammond Holler! said...

Im so impressed! Those projects look great and so much fun. Don't you just love turning something old and ugly into something so awesome and just what you wanted!

The Brewers said...

Wow! You have been busy! It must be the season for all these fun projects! :) My favorite is the lamp! It takes "vision" to look at something like that, and create a look like you did. Looks great!

Cherie said...

Holy cow! You are one talented lady. Good job on all of your projects. Once I get going on mine I'm going to have to email you to get some ideas and tips! They all look great. I LOVE the color scheme in the boys room too!