Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sometimes as a parent, bribery is necessary

Recently, Quincy's been very determined to be dry at night... he still wears a pull up to bed. He wants to do it, but I know very well that he's such a sound sleeper that nothing will wake this kid up. His pediatrician has reassured us that he will  grow out of it, and that we will know when he's ready. Thus we try to encourage him, but not pressure him. A few weeks ago he was dry for four nights in a row. On night 2 I told him if he was dry for 5 nights in a row we would go anywhere he wanted for a special treat. He was so excited and had decided on Cold Stone. On night 4 he told me while putting his pull up on that he was going to be dry. I responded with, "Well, that's sounds great, but it's okay if you're not." 

Poor, poor Quincy. In the middle of the night I heard someone in the bathroom and went in to see who it was. It was Q and at first I thought, 'Wow, I can't believe he actually woke up to go the bathroom.' If only that was the whole case.... Unfortunately he had diarrhea. Poor kid. He was upset and I could tell, so I helped him into a new pull up and pajamas and then he went back to bed. A few hours later in the morning he came into our room with his head hung down and said that he had diarrhea again and that he couldn't hold it-- the poor kid sleeps on the top bunk, I never would have expected him to hold it while racing down his ladder. Tyler and I did what any loving parent would do. We comforted him, reassured him that he was doing a good job and that sometimes accidents happen. I wanted him to feel good about all the progress he had made the previous nights before and so we still took him to Cold Stone. 
Little Zee zee loved having the ice cream too. 
Most of the time my boys have fun doing the simplest of things, one day we were out running errands and they found some of these cars in Salvation Army... (I know I probably sound like I ONLY shop here, I promise I don't, but I've been looking for a TV stand... and actually found a great one that I'll post about later). They had fun racing each other up and down the big aisle. They had so much fun they didn't even complain when we said it was time to go. It's the little things. 

I L.O.V.E. when Tyler gets home, but probably just a teensy bit more than how much our boys love when he gets home. Zayden always  speed crawls over to him and pulls to stand up hanging on his legs while begging his daddy to pick him up. Once Tyler does he smiles and snuggles him. It's the sweetest thing ever. 

Sometimes I wish I could leave for work and be welcomed home by all my boys running up to me for affection. 
Braxton does silly things and even says funny things. He wrapped himself up in this blanket and declared that he was 'ready for bed!' Ha 
Lately Quincy has really taken to drawing and writing things. He is quite creative and I'm very impressed with his imagination and skills in spelling. This is a picture he drew one day:


No comments: