Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The good news.... the bad news....

The good news....................

Monday the weather was nice and so we decided to go for a walk. (I should mention that our jogger stroller is up and running thanks to the new "thorn proof" tires from Portland, OR.) For a while now I've been looking for an outdoor table to sit between our patio chairs. Something decent looking that we can use to put our cold drinks onto during those hot summer nights.

We headed over to the Deseret Industries and found this table for $3.00. I figured that for three bucks we could give it a coat of paint and it would be the perfect size and shape to sit between our chairs. It also has some shelves on the inside of it, which will be perfect for holding our garden tools. After purchasing the table we gave it a new coat of paint and voila`!
Presto! A new table. Since the paint has dried I will be looking to pot up some flowers to put on it. I think all in all, we're getting a nice little outdoor 'living area'. I can't wait for everything to fill out in our garden.

While working this weekend I bought some marigolds, yellow and green bell peppers, cubanelle peppers, and two small cherry tomato plants. I can't wait until we get to eat everything! I think the marigolds add some nice color to the garden. I also planted some nasturtium seeds between the marigolds, which will all hopefully fill out into a nice border.

Okay, and as for the bad news.............

See those two mounds of succulent plants that in a circle shape in the above picture. Well they didn't used to be two separate mounds.... they were once a huge ONE mound.
(Note: the huge mound as pictured above. Pretty spring flowers don't you think?)

I'm not sure what the plant is called because it was there before we moved it. It requires little or NO maintenance all year long and I have since had no complaints about it.... until now...... I cut it way back to make room for all our pepper plants (and because it was taking over the garden) and THIS is what happened.


I woke up the next morning to find my arms covered in tiny blisters and a severe rash.

(The pictures don't really do the real damage justice.)

I knew the sap form the plant causes a sticky, milky stain on our cement sidewalk, which is why I wore gloves. What I didn't realize is that it must be poisonous to some extent. I have yet to figure out what it is, but have since noted that I won't be rubbing my arms in its milky sap anymore, nor will I be letting Quincy get near it. The blisters and rash hurt and when I touch anything on them I am in pain. Since the incident they have slowly been reducing down to a lesser quantity. I have been covering them in hydrocortisone cream, which seems to help.


Does anyone know what this plant is called? I have seen it covering hillsides here in Idaho, and I know it must grow native in Idaho, but I'm not sure about the name. I will be doing my research and let you know my findings, that you all may be educated on it as well.



Wish my poor arms luck, and know that despite being wounded from my little garden, I have hope for it beauty these next coming months.

1 comment:

lindquist said...

WOW! Sorry about your arms!

But.... the GOOD news is that your garden and yard look FABULOUS! That's my girl, shoppin' at the D.I. I love it!

I can't wait to come to your place in August. It will be nice to see your stuff in person.

I worked outside all day today with Dad and I was wearing a tank top. Cuz' my shoulders are never in the sun AND because I was out there ALLLLL day long - I am F * R * I * E * D!!!!! It's one of those sunburns that is so hot that you get the chills? Ya. I guess I should have been paying more attention.

But, we got all the last of our weeding done (for now) and the last of the garden in! I planted like 3 bags of beans. We'll see if any of them come up. One of the bags was VERY old, so we'll just pretend it's a 'science project'!

Keep up the good work, sis!

Love,
Mom