Sunday, May 24, 2009

What to do in Boise, ID

Last Saturday we went to the Ann Morrison Park. I have to give the parks in down town Boise some serious credit. They are pretty impressive. I love going to them... perhaps it's because in many ways they remind me of home. I can't get enough of all the trees and green grass.... well green for Idaho.

Since my camera had very little batteries left I wasn't able to take many pictures while we were there, so some of these are from the internet. Sorry. You get the point though....

Besides having extremely beautiful recreational areas they also have something to do for every age. We decided that the Ann Morrison Park would be nice to take Quincy to since he's a little bigger and is better understanding how to play on the playground equipment.

See this picture of the playground equipment? This playground was set up in different parts for different ages. The part closest to us is for toddlers, then the next is for ages 3-8 and the part furthest from us is the 'big kid' playground for ages 10 and up.

We tried to talk Quincy into some of the younger more friendly playground parts for his age... see how Tyler's trying to convince him how FUN these rocking horses are?

I love this next picture because you can clearly tell Quincy isn't buying into it. He was way more interested in watching this other kid, who by the way happened to have 'car shoes' just like his.

Finally we just stuck him on the toys to see if he would like it.... he rocked a little bit and then nervously said "All done" which for those of you who don't know, is his catch all phrase for when he doesn't like something.

He did, however, like these toys. I have to say, my son is quite the smarty pants... despite not being quite 2 yet he know practically EVERY letter in the alphabet and is quickly learning his numbers.

He proudly pointed to that number three on top and said "eight"... to which I replied with a smile "almost". He still gets the 3's and 8's confused, after all they look pretty similar. Not bad for only being 21 months old!

After playing with the turning numbers for a while he had had enough fun in the toddler play section and decided to move on to bigger and better things.....

He moved right on to the biggest, most terrifying part of the playground....................

..................................................................the moving bridge.


I know I shouldn't have laughed, but seriously I couldn't help it. Probably like that time that I accidentally got one of those wind up cars stuck in my long hair and came in panic crying to my parents to get it out.... you know what they did? Laughed... and then took a picture.

Cruel.


Well, the tables have turned, now it's my turn to laugh and take a picture.

Quincy stood frozen at this very spot watching all the bigger kids run freely over this moving bridge. I swear he couldn't move. You could tell he wanted to be brave like all the big kids, but wasn't able to muster up the courage to actually make a move.

We kept trying to motivate him by reassuring him that it was okay. All we got was one foot on the bridge before he quickly decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

Despite being a little traumatized from the moving bridge he wasn't about to slow down or stop his fun. He transitioned like a pro into full playground mode playing king of the playground...

Exploring tunnels.....

Climbing stairs....

And running up and down ramps before we told him we needed to go. He wasn't happy about it, but we told him we needed to go get some lunch.

Tyler and I decided to share a foot long from Subway....

We knew Quincy wouldn't eat the sandwhich, of course, it was too healthy. So we decided to get him a burger from this mom and pop fast food joint:

Fanci freeze

Quincy's lunch cost us a mere .79 cents. What a steal. I love Fanci Freeze. When Tyler and I were first married we used to get their Boston Shakes.... Tyler loves their Scotch and Soda's. If you're ever in the north end of Boise go down State street and try this place out. They have really cheap prices also.

After we all had something to eat we took our lunches to Camel's Back Park in the North End. It's a pretty park. There are always lots of people, dogs, parties, tennis matches, biciclists, and other North End people to watch.

It was such a nice day to spend together as a family.

The end.

5 comments:

Coming soon.... said...

Sounds like a fun day. I love Boise. The parks there are really nice I definitely agree.

Ashley Bankhead said...

Looks like you guys had fun. Sorry we never got to see you when we were up there; we were only in Boise for that one day. The rest of the time we spent in Gooding. We will have to try to get together next time we are there.

lindquist said...

Ok it wasn't THAT cruel. The picture of that car rolled up in your hair is *still* worth a lot of laughs some 20 or so years later. Don't you think? I LOVE this post - Quincy's face does say everything. And he looks pretty cute. I miss him so much. I wish we could be 'outside' with him all the time.
Love,
Grammie

lindquist said...

My friend Jessica's Blog address:

http://thesmithcakes.blogspot.com/

I find her, her family, her life very interesting. She's started a blog for our ward ladies. Right now there's nothin' on there but 'playgroup' stuff... but soon we'll have our recipe exchange on there and thought you be'd interested in that!

Love you Kate!

lindquist said...

sorrry... here's the ward blog:

http://van7thletsgettogether.blogspot.com/