Friday, March 6, 2009

A day in the life of an ex-shopaholic

Like stated in the previous post I find it difficult to go shopping for myself these days. Or rather our bank account finds it more difficult. :o) There's one thing that I just can't pass by though... and that's a great deal.

When Tyler and I first got married we were registered at Target and Walmart... not too classy I know, but we wanted someplace that our guests could purchase something for us at a reasonable price. Let me just say previous to us getting married..... that Tyler's style and my style clash.

Tyler's sense of style or sometimes in my opinion lack thereof -- sorry Tyler-- is more practical if you will. He would be content with a house full of mismatched, hodegepoged, hand-me-down furniture for quite some time. I, however, lean towards more modern chic. I like clean lines and color. Despite our clashes in interior decorating........ I have always been allowed to do what I wanted with our home.

Tyler thinks it's ridiculous that our bathroom towel rack holds towels which are 'for looks' and not to use, that I straighten up our bed which has thirteen pillows on it after every time he sits on it, that when I vacuum the floor I don't want him to walk on it and so on. He puts up with alot from me when it comes to my 'decorating needs'.

With that said, when we register for our wedding 3 years ago I had to choose some neutral bedding for our room which we both agreed upon. Of course it wasn't something I was in love with, but we both agreed on it. I always thought in the back of my mind that if I had my wish I would choose the colors blue and brown for a master bedroom color scheme.

A couple of weeks ago I found this perfect bedding at TJ MAXX, an 8 piece bedding set for $69.99. It was blue and white and I thought it was perfect. I always go browsing online and had seen the bedding at Macy's for three times the price. I told Tyler I loved it, but of course he said... "Kati, we don't need any bedding ours is just fine." This is the practical Tyler talking.

I was perfectly aware that we didn't NEED it, just that I WANTED it and that it was a killer price. It was the exact colors I wanted, there were no trendy patterns that would easily go out of date or become something we'd hate in a few years, it had simple clean lines, and I thought it was practical in the sense that we could easily change the complementary colors.

After trying to convince him of all these reasons to buy it he was still unconvinced. He simply ended the conversation with, "Do whatever you want." After contemplating "doing whatever I wanted and buying EVERYTHING in the store" I decided otherwise. I didn't want him to get mad. And I tried to reason with him that if it was meant to be... the bedding would be there in a week.

Well a week went by and we were back at TJ MAXX doing some other shopping. I went back to the bedding section just to see and was heartbroken that the queen size wasn't there. There was only a king size set, which wasn't ideal since our bed is queen sized. Tyler saw that I was upset and said... "Well, it wasn't meant to be" in a lighthearted voice. This sort of made me fume and little and I said "It wasn't meant to be because you didn't WANT it to be." Somewhere deep down I immediately became determined to find a way to make the bedding of my dreams come back.

While Tyler and Quincy were off in another part of the store I picked up the king size bedding and heaved it into the small cart. Tyler looked confused and I said.... " We'll just See if it looks ridiculous; if it does I can return it and then we'll know it was 'meant to be'."

And so here it is.

Eventually I'm going to swap out the black sheets and pillow cases for brown stuff, but for now we've got the beginning part taken care of.


What do you think?

2 comments:

Katie Stacey said...

I LOVE it! We just switched our bedroom over to brown and blue too and I love the combination. And don't worry, I've bought 4 sets of bedding for our bedroom and 2 for the guest bedroom and I've only been married for 5 and a half years. It's fun to change things up. Steve doen't get it either.

lindquist said...

I think it's SOOO you! Ya, guys don't get the throw pillows and the things "just for looks". But I like it. Sometimes when I'm putting the 9 pillows on my bed in the morning I think of that movie "Along came Polly" (Is that what it's called?) where he has a break down at the end and is knifing all those throw pillows and liberating himself! Ha ha Nice job Kate. Looks great!