Monday, September 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Tyler!

I remember it all so clearly... the first time that I met Tyler, and the many times that we hung out after that first meeting. Tyler had been and still is one of the best men on this Earth, at least I think so. He was always the first one to crack a joke, the one who wasn't affraid to join in a pick up game of two on two, even though the 'other two' were about twice his size. Tyler has always been up for a challenge, no matter what. Tyler made me smile, and it's still something which makes him irresistably charming; He can make me smile even when I don't want to, and try as I may I can never stay mad because he knows how to make me laugh.

After many months of dating and courtship, I came to realize that Tyler was the man of my dreams. He provided security and safety, respect for me, love, kindness, laughter, fun, and so many other things. It was one of the best days of my life when he finally proposed to marry me. Although, Tyler might have been a little reluctant to get married at first, or the thought of it anyway, he has been one of the most caring spouses anyone could ask for.
Tyler cared for me when I needed it most, he showed me love when I felt discouraged, he supported me, pushed me to become better, he never judged or criticized. I thought I loved him so much then, little did I know it would grow to be even more.
On May 6, 2006 Tyler and I were married in the Portland, OR temple for time and all eternity. We had begun our little family... just the two of us. The first months of our marriage were both amazing and trying. It was so great to finally be able to share everything with the man I loved, and yet there were times were we both got on eachother's nerves. Through great times and bad times, Tyler's stuck by me. He has made it clear that he will always love me no matter what. He has clearly outlined that his intention is to stand by me forever. He has vowed to never give up on us. I believe him. We have shared so many wonderful experiences together, had so much fun--- Tyler's always been about having fun-- although he knows how to be taken seriously too. I remember one particular time where we experienced countless occassions of having our jeep break down. The times it stopped running never seemed to be convienant (like when we were in Utah with no friends or family near us) and I remember wanting to cry or yell. I looked to Tyler during those times because he showed such great strength. When I wanted to loose control I was comforted in Tyler's faith that everything would work out. My husband is amazing! I thought that our life wouldn't get any better than it was. Tyler was everything I wanted in a husband.

Then came the time that we started discussing having an increase in our family's numbers. At first, like the thought of the responsibilty of marriage, Tyler was nervous. I mean, having a baby requires A LOT of responsibiity! This was probably one of the few times where I showed a little faith, reassuring him it would all be fine. The day finally came where we knew we were going to have a new addition to our little family. Tyler was SO excited to be a dad! The day I told him he couldn't wipe that smile off his face. Tyler was religious about going to my doctors appointments. He held my hand when they had to draw blood, when they gave shots, he smiled at me when I felt scared, he went to every childbirth class, and even managed to keep his eyes open during the majority of the acutal childbirth video. He was incredible.

August 15, 2007 arrived, the day of our baby's birth. Tyler was right there by my side the whole time. He was so kind and did such a great job making sure that I was taken care of. He regulated our family and kept them updated, made sure that I was comfortable, and spoke sweet words when I needed to hear them. Little Quincy finally greeted us at 1:17PM and Tyler was in awe from the moment he laid on eyes on his son. In the recovery room, after I was finished in surgery I watched my husband carefully hold our baby boy. His eyes were so full of love. He was gentle, and though I had never seen Tyler even hold a baby before Quincy was born, he looked like a natural father. He did such a wonderful job the weeks after Quincy was born helping me and caring for Quincy. He has been a great dad!
.
Tyler loves to watch Quincy play...and in many ways Quincy resembles his dad... he always makes Tyler laugh. He rough houses around with his son, feeds him, changes a fair share of diapers, and reads to him. Tyler has been a wonderful husband and an awesome dad. We are so blessed to have him to love us, care for us, and make us laugh.
Happy 27th Birthday Tyler! We love you so much!!

5 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

you guys are so cute together... I really like that B&W pic of you guys. Happy Birthday Tyler!

Kati Howard said...

Thanks my mom took those for our engagement pictures and it was like 20 degrees while we were out there in the snow. We were freezing, but got some nice pictures!

The Hammond Holler! said...

Hey Kati! Cute post in honor of your hubby. We saw your parents at Applebees today and I got your blog from them. I can't believe how big Quincy is getting. You can check out our newest addition to our family on my blog.....www.hammondholler.blogspot.com

TRACI HAMMOND

Jennifer P. said...

What a sweet, sweet post Kati---and a wonderful tribute to your husband! I hope he reads this and just melts into that deep love for a while :)!

Happy Birthday from the lady at church with the noisy, roaming boys :)!

Kati Howard said...

Ha ha, He DID read it... and got a little choked up, which rarely happens. I was pleased. :)

I'll tell him you said so.