Monday, September 15, 2008

Annual BSU Football Game:


Tyler and his old roommate, Matt, are making quite the tradition. Last year Matt flew from California to Boise to go to a BSU football game. He flew in Friday night and left Sunday afternoon. They had lots of fun last year and decided to do it again. Here we are a year later and are making it quite the tradition. It looks like Tyler will have one weekend full of sports to look forward to with his friend Matt each year.

This year I got to go, because we left Quincy with Tyler's parents, much better than sitting at home while your husband and his friend have a great time. Kent and Teesy picked up Quincy Saturday around noon, so that left the three of us with a day wide open! Our first mission was to find some cheap orange shirts since it was an "orange out" game. Seeing as how our seats were on the 40 yard line in the front row, we figured we should sport some BSU colors-- preferably orange for this particular game. After we found our orange shirts-- I like mine best-- we decided we should figure out where we were going to have our late lunch. Tyler suggested a couple of sports grills where he thought they would have TV's, so they could watch the BYU/UCLA game. We ended up going to a grill called the Ram. Here's what it looked like from the outside:

Before we even got in the restaurant this is what we saw lining the spaces in the parking lot:

It's like you're not a real Boise resident if you don't have your flags up for the BSU games. I guess in that case we don't make the cut for die hard fans! On our way over to the Ram, Matt proposed calling our friend Bridget, she also went to school at BYU-I, and having her join us for lunch/ dinner. Luckily Bridget agreed to join us, which meant I wasn't the only girl and had someone to talk to about things not regarding sports. Bridget, YOU WERE A LIFESAVER!

After we stuffed ourselves full of yummy sports-grill-type food, which Matt treated us to-- THANKS MATT!-- we headed over to the game. Alas, Bridget didn't have a ticket, so we had to say our goodbyes and she left on her scooter. Lucky for us though, the Ram is only about two blocks away from the stadium, so we left our car parked there and walked right over. We leisurely took our time walking around, since it was only about 4:00 and the game didn't start until 6:00. There were SO many tailgaters, with the complete works set up, grills, BBQ's, digital TV's, radios, couches etc. It was pretty crazy, how some fans really get into it. We made our way to the practice stadium and I was so glad because I got to watch this:
The cheerleaders and spirit/ dance/ pom (whatever you want to call them) squad performed some short routines and dances. It was really fun. The band was also in there practicing and they played a couple of songs while the cheerleaders danced. It was awesome! It reminded me of the good ole' days cheering in high school. I loved football season! I love hearing the band play really loud, the crowds in the stadium cheering, I loved being right down on there next to the football players, I loved pre-half time jitters when we were about to go out for the halftime show, I loved bundling up in our fleece jackets when it got cold, and I loved cheering on the winning team! As you can tell, watching the BSU cheerleaders was lots of fun for me, because it brought back a lot of great memories. In fact part of me wishes I had gone to a college which offered competitive cheerleading, for which my coach assured me she would write a letter of recommendation. But sadly, my days of cheerleading are gone, and I've been faced with the reality that I'll just be another spectator in the crowd of other fans. *sigh*
As much as I dislike watching sports on TV, I make up for it when going to a game in person. I love that there is so much to see and hear-- other than sports commentators. The stadium was PACKED! The crowd was so loud, and it was fun to be under the lights and feel the intensity.
It was a great weather for a game, as you can see in this picture:
And the weather cooperated even later into the evening and night. We were comfortable in our jeans and T-shirts... and had a great view of the game and the moon! Sorry this picture is blurry, it was more complicated to try and get a shot with the stadium lights and it being dark skies.... my flash wouldn't cooperate.
All in all it was a great weekend. Tyler had fun, Matt had fun, I had some fun mixed in there, and of course... Quincy had fun.
Until Next year!

2 comments:

Spencer & Jonathan said...

Yeah, I would have loved watching the cheerleaders and the half time show too. Jonathan LOVES football and I'm just like gag me. I told him if we went to a OSU game in person I'd probably have more fun. We have the RAM here in Lake Oswego and we love it. They have cheap appitizers and good happy hour prices. Since we're poor, it's a nice place to get out without spending too much money...

lindquist said...

You still got it, Sissy! I love and miss you ~ Mom