Friday, July 25, 2008

A Goal not achieveable?

Tyler and I have started running together about 3 times a week. We don't really run far, or that fast for the matter-- but I suppose what we really get out of it is a little excercise and some time alone together while Quincy is sleeping. I hate running and so for me to run 3 times a week is a pretty big deal, which sounds pathetic to some of you I bet, but hey baby steps. I'm learning to like running though; However, I've learned I don't really like to run alone. I made Tyler start running with me so he would push me to run a little further than I would normally run by myself, and it works!

Last night we went running and I wasn't very smart and did a bunch of ab work outs before....needless to say I had the worst side cramp after running for only a little while. With Tyler there by my side, I continued to press on-- with only a few short breaks to catch my breath. At the end of our run, I said do you want to race? Tyler looked at me with this grin on his face, like "Are you serious? I would kill you." But of course, he doesn't kill me at first, he lets me get a little ahead before he blows past me with the littlest effort. I swear, had I not had those bad side cramps.... I think I could've beat him. Okay-- maybe not beat him, but at least made it close. In fact after he DID beat me, because I slowed down due to the side cramp, I told him that my goal is to someday beat him in a race.

I asked him if he would really go full out, or just let me win so I could feel good about myself. He said a "real" race? Oh no, of course I would beat you. I said, "Well good, then at least I know when I DO beat you that you were trying your hardest, cuz I'm sure you'd tell everyone else you were 'going easy on me'.

After we finished running and had cooled down sitting outside on our lawn chairs he must've still been thinking about my race challange and said, "You know, you should run in the womens race they have here in Boise in Sept. Quincy and I would go and cheer you on." I told him yeah right, that if I was going to race, I would rather have him running right next to me, not cheering from the sidelines looking happy and full of air, while I'm ready to pass out any second. Then he said... and think of it this way, if you and I were to race and I beat you, but you came close...You would still be faster than most girls. So it would still be a win situation for you. I said

"No, I want to actually BEAT you....and I will..................
.........................someday."

I'm not quite sure that I could really ever beat Tyler, but it would feel so good to beat him at something, especially when it comes to athletic stuff. Is this a goal not achieveable?

We shall see!

2 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Mike would say that it is unachievable...he thinks he can beat any girl in athletics....he is pretty athletic and has the height factor, but I really don't think he could beat any women pro athletes...boys. I think if you really wanted to you could but then you'd have to keep practicing.

Kati Howard said...

Yeah... so I know that average guys have a physical advantage over the average girls... but I WISH I could beat him... just once, then I'd remind him as long as we're married-- which is forever. ha! :)