Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The glass is half full kind of day...

There are days when I feel that Heavenly Father is giving me something to remind me that what I'm doing is important. Today happened to be one of those days. Although, I might have more days where I feel like the job I'm doing isn't all that it's cracked up to be... for instance, when I have lost track of the number of times I've picked up Quincy's toys, or intentionally ignored the large pile of dishes in the sink, or didn't take a second glance at the overflowing laundry basket filled with dirty clothes.....
No, motherhood isn't always glamorous, that's for sure.

But I believe there are truly moments that we are presented with that make us feel like we're actually making a difference. I mean, why else would any woman willingly choose to make such sacrifices. Motherhood is a divine part of the plan, and I'm so lucky that I have te chance to be part of that.

On with my real reason for wiritng......like I was saying, today happened to be one of those days where

for a brief moment I felt that every moment

spent changing dirty diapers, wrestling down a 11mo. baby to nurse because he's not gaining enough weight, listening to long drawn out wails and screams because some of his teeth are coming through

was worth it!

Quincy loves to go outside and play, unfortunately since we live in Idaho it's kind of a pain to get him ready to go outside...

.....putting on shoes-- which is harder than you think because he is so squirmy and anxious to just get out the door-- making sure he's lathered up in sunscreen, getting him to keep on a sunhat so his little head doesn't burn, and so on....

I find that the best time to go outside is later at night, but by the time it cools down he's usually asleep. And lucky for me- because that is the only time during the day when I can do whatever I want without having to worry about what he'll be into next. Today however, I decided that he and I would go ouside and play in the yard after Tyler left for work later this evening. I was very pleased at how well Quincy ate all of his dinner- which as a side note, were peas!

I figured he deserved some time outside. He played along the lawn chairs which sit outside our front door as I watered our garden. He was playing nicely and didn't even try and eat the usual outdoor things (sticks, grass, rocks etc.) After I was done watering the garden I came over next to him and took his little hand in mine. We walked hand in hand down our sidewalk to a shady part under the tree. There we sat on the cement, Quincy playing with a pair of rocks he found, and me giving him approval for "showing" me the rocks that he was so proud of.

He would look up at me with those inocent eyes and hold out his hand eager to see my look of approval.... and how could I not give it? He was just too cute to resist! Then he did something he almost never does.

He gestured that he wanted to stand up. When I helped him reach his feet he stood very close to me and put his little arm around part of my shoulder, like he was hugging me. He clung to me and snuggled his little head against my neck. There he stood for a few moments while I hugged him tight and he didn't even try and push me away. I kissed his little head and told him how much I loved him.

It was so precious and also so simple.

Things like that reassure me that motherhood is worth every moment- good and bad! I know my little guy won't always do things like he did today... which is why I decided I should write it down. Maybe you might not enjoy this as much all the pictures, but it was something I thought was worth remembering. I hope that all of you will be able to appreciate those moments when you realize God is giving you something beautiful.

3 comments:

lindquist said...

Beautifully captured. Thanks for sharing, Sis. It's these times and more that for certain, make it 'worth it'. I love you. You are a great Mama.

xo Mom

Jennifer P. said...

Hang onto and treasure every one of those moments!.... That was such a beautiful little scene to share with us :)! Little Quincy is a sweetie for sure. I love the way his little blue eyes are always peeking over your or Tyler's shoulder at me--they just smile!

Peachey said...

HI. This is Jonathan. I am so excited to see you guys! I need outta this town so bad! I hope all is well... we are going to have a fun time!
I left this comment from my blog www.jporegon.blogspot.com - back when i lived in salt lake and before - its a great way to get to know me and my history if your interested.
See u soon
JP