Monday, June 23, 2008

Smarty Pants

I just wanted to record a little story for my sake, so I can look back and remember it, but you all might enjoy it too. Quincy is really bright. He's extremely independant and loves to learn how things work. He'll forever be fascinated with his easter egg until he figures out how to put it together-- up until now he's just figured out how to take it apart and hasn't quite got it back together. He loves his puzzles and has even figured how to take the pieces out-- putting them back in will come eventually. He loves to "read" his books. This morning he just sat in the living room on the floor with his books reading each one out loud while I watched the Today Show. I spent more time watching him than the TV. He's so cute...AND smart. He opened up the books and held them up so he see them better to "read". Then he proceeded to jabber as if he were actually reading the book. He would jabber some jibberish and then turn the page. It was SO cute. I'm always so amazed by how much he is capable of learning and HAS learned. Each day brings something new. He's constantly making connections. Like last week for example:

I've been trying really hard to make sure that Quincy learns early on how to "communicate" with us when he cries. In a calm vioce while he's crying I ask him questions like: "Are you tired?" or "Is Quincy hungry?" or "Do your teeth hurt?". It might seem stupid, but I think he's starting to catch on. Tyler was working and so it was just Quincy and I at home. I was kinda hungry and craving something sweet and lucky me, there happened to be some cookie dough in the fridge I had made earlier. I sat down on the couch with the whole bowl of dough--because I didn't want to dirty another dish. Quincy saw me with the huge bowl and became very curious. He crawled over towards me and stood up next to couch in front of my lap. He watched me for a while. He would see me pick something out of the bowl and put it in my mouth. He did this several times and I could see him undersanding that whatever was in the bowl was food. He looked perplexed as if he didn't know what to do and then suddenly his eyes got big and he looked right into my eyes and said very excitedly: " NANA!" (Which is what he calls all food.)

He was adorable and he worked so hard at trying to communicate to me what he wanted. It was so awesome to watch him as his little mind worked. SO....I figure somewhere in there he really is learning those things which we repeatedly tell or ask him.

A MOTHER COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD!

No comments: