Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kati's version of the day we got engaged……


It was Friday January 13, 2006. I know, he proposed on Friday the 13th can you believe it? Both Tyler and I had classes in the morning and we were usually done somewhere around 1-2:00. After our classes we headed over to his apartment (we never spent time at my apartment since my roommates were really weird.) It was when we were at home that he decided that we should go out to eat that night. He asked me what sounded good, or where I would like to go. I said that Red Robin really sounded good, but I was pretty sure they didn’t have one here on the east side of Idaho. Tyler said he would go online and check. While he was “checking”, I was downstairs watching TV. He came back to report that they didn’t have a Red Robin… too bad. I said I didn’t really care and he suggested that we go to eat somewhere on the side of town next to the temple. Silly me, I didn’t suspect a thing. I told him that would be fine and asked when he wanted to go eat. He told me 6:00PM – I was thinking, you’re crazy! Anybody knows that on a Friday night the restaurants are packed by that time because it’s when everyone else wants to eat. Not to mention that if we left at 6:00 then it’s another half and hour drive before we would get there. I told him we should leave sooner, but he didn’t agree. So very very reluctantly I gave in. Since it was still a few hours before we were going to eat, I searched the cupboards for something to snack on to tide me over. He got mad at me and lectured me on how I was going to spoil my dinner. I told him I was starving and if I didn’t eat something then I would be very unhappy. He looked unconvinced and so I just ate some crackers or something. It was probably around 5:30 that I was getting antsy and very hungry so we decided to visit my old roommate Kate. I called her to see if she was going to be around and she said she was. We headed over to her apartment to kill some time. After visiting for a while I was nudging Tyler we needed to go. Tyler at this point was extremely calm and seemed to not be in any sort of a hurry. I, on the other hand was dying to get some food in my stomach. We said goodbye to Kate and made the drive down to Idaho Falls. By this time I was getting a little irritated, but tried not to outwardly make it known. We finally got to I.F. and pulled into Applebee’s. Since there wasn’t a parking spot to be found I told Tyler to drop me off and that I would go see how long the wait would be. I walked through the doors and it was chaos. The hostess said it would be 45 minutes. “For two?” I asked. So I went back to the jeep where Tyler was waiting and very matter of factly told him it was going to be 45 minutes (like, hello, I knew it was going to be this busy on a Friday night). So we went over to Outback Steakhouse in hopes that the wait wouldn’t be as long. I came back to report to Tyler only more bad news. We decided to go back to Applebee’s. Now there were no parking spots readily available and so Tyler dropped me off to wait inside while he found a parking spot. I gave the hostess our name and squeezed into a corner where no one was standing. It was about 10 minutes before Tyler finally joined me. He could tell I was very unhappy and tried to be nice, saying, “how about we go for a walk after dinner and you can let off some steam.” I knew he was trying to make me smile and I wasn’t going to completely give in. I had to make my point, I was right. I was the one who knew that we should have left sooner, I was the one who knew I’d be starving, and I was the one who had to suffer because of poor decisions. I tried to smile at him, but found that it was terribly forced. Finally, after I watched countless couples and families get their names called before ours the hostess announced, “Tyler?” Relieved we walked a few steps through the crowd towards her before she stopped at the table right next to the door and asked, “Is this okay?” I was dumbfounded and looked at her like, ‘you’ve got to be kidding me.’ We waited 50 minutes by the doors which were constantly opening and closing, letting in the cold winter air, only to be seated 12 inches from them? I gave Tyler a tired and unpleasant glare and managed to say something like, “It’s fine.” Throughout this whole time Tyler seemed unusually pleasant and happy, despite my anger. He held my hand as we looked through the menus. When our waiter came to take our orders I was sure to be ready. I believe we ordered an appetizer and some drinks and it was while we ate that I was able to calm myself down. Our food arrived shortly afterwards and we ate and talked. I was freezing because my back was to the door, but I was happy with a full stomach. After we were stuffed full Tyler paid the bill while I excused myself to use the bathroom. I walked into the bathroom and heard a whiny annoying little girl screaming to her mom. It was quite obvious that she wanted attention and her mom was clearly ignoring her. I, on the other hand couldn’t help but think to myself, ‘oh my gosh, she’s so annoying. Shut up’. You know those moments when you think something but it actually comes out of your mouth. Well, this was that kind of moment. Since it was only a two person stall, clearly I was the culprit for the rude statement about this lady’s daughter. When I got out of the stall the lady gave me a dirty look and yanked her daughter (who was still screaming) out of the bathroom. I laughed at the situation because, well, there was nothing I could do about it and I knew I wouldn’t ever see her again. I came back to Tyler and reported my bathroom incident to him. He laughed and commented something about how quick I am to anger. We got up and were walking out to the car when Tyler said, “Oh, I’ve got to go to the bathroom.” I couldn’t believe him; sometimes he was like a little kid. So I took the keys and waited for the car to warm up while he was in the bathroom. Once he got in I kissed him and apologized for being so grumpy, but informed him that he was pre-warned. He said it was okay and asked if I wanted to walk along the waterfront or the temple grounds. I decided the temple grounds because up until then I’d only driven past the Idaho Falls temple. We pulled into the parking lot and walked around the temple. It was SO cold, so Tyler wrapped his arm around my shoulder to keep me warm. The temple was beautiful and lit up nicely that crisp cold night. I told him that I really did love him, even though he sometimes did things that I didn’t like. He questioned me with an almost surprised, “Oh?” I told yes, of course I do. He said, “Well how am I supposed to know that?” I rambled off a long list of all the little and big things that I did for him to show him how much I loved him. After listening intently he concluded, “Well, it sounds like your list surpasses mine by far (by now we were only ¾ of the way around the temple) but I think that I have something that will make it up to you.” It was then that he turned to face me and reached one of his hands to his pocket. I was looking at him in disbelief. I wasn’t quite sure if I really knew what he was doing. I mean, it looked as if he was going to give me something, but up until this point a ring was the last thing I expected. I very quickly said, “Tyler, stop that’s not funny.” (Just so everyone is up to speed – Tyler had pretended to propose the summer before as a joke, he did it very sarcastically so I wouldn’t think he was serious but it wasn’t funny. So I thought he was just joking this time and I wasn’t about to fall for it again.) He continued to grab whatever was in his pocket and proceeded to pull out a white box the size of his palm. I kept looking at it in disbelief. ‘Was this really happening?’ I thought to myself. He opened up the small white box to reveal yet another velvet covered white box in the shape of an octagon. It was then that he kneeled down and looking up proclaimed his love for me. I can’t remember anything in particular that he said except. “Kati, will you marry me?” I was completely and entirely shocked, but managed to say yes five times. I hugged him and kissed him about 15 times before I even got a good look at the ring. He took it out of the box and put it on my finger. It looked beautiful. Tyler was smiling ear to ear and so was I. I couldn’t believe what torture he put me through just to get a surprise proposal. We hurried back to the car and I called my parents who were at a wrestling tournament for Scott to tell them the good news. They had to go into a closet just so it was quiet enough to hear. When they were able to make out most of my words I excitedly announced that Tyler and I were officially engaged. They congratulated me and told us they were very happy for Tyler and I. Afterwards, Tyler and I made some other quick phone calls to family members sharing with them the good news. We finished the night with a trip back over to Kate’s apartment. I told Tyler that first we needed to go to Dairy Queen. He looked sort of confused and I told him that back when Kate and I first started school and living together we made bets on who would be getting married and when. The loser had to buy the person closest to their guess a Dairy Queen Ice cream cake. So we picked up a cake on the way to her place. When Kate opened the door I handed her the ice cream cake and said nothing. At first she looked dumbfounded and asked, “What’s this for?” I said, “You won.” It took her a minute but then she put two and two together. She exclaimed, “oh my gosh you guys! I’m so happy for you!” We chatted for a little bit and I explained that how Tyler had done it and that I was completely oblivious to his plans. Finally after we had all eaten a piece of cake we headed back to Tyler’s apartment. I remember being so happy and I could hardly keep from smiling the entire rest of the night. Our special evening concluded with Tyler taking me home and and giving me an amazing good night kiss.

1 comment:

lindquist said...

Tyler is a sneaky one. And YES, I remember being in that old, nasty closet at some random high school amongst a chaotic wrestling tournament to even HEAR what you were saying!! (seems we LIVED in high school wrestling tournaments for a so long...)

We love Tyler being part of the family & are happy that YOU are happy. But let's face it, we're **MOST** happy about the wonderful grandkids you two have given us together! Yep.

Grammie