Tuesday, June 24, 2008

An old lady's trash is a young couples treasure...

Yesterday evening we went outside after it finally cooled off. Quincy was doing his usual, pulling out all the rocks in the border of my garden when our neighbor, Diane, came home. She's older and lives by herself and has recently had a yard sale. There is still some junk outside her house including an office desk. We yelled hello across the street and she said hello and then asked if we needed a desk. We said we'd go look at it; we walked over to take a peek and decided it was in pretty good shape. She told us it was ours if we wanted to take it for free. So we hauled it across the street, cleaned it up, and then filled it up with our stuff. It doesn't match the other things in our house as far as furniture goes (Infact nothing in our house really goes together becuase they've all been hand me downs...which we've been very grateful for) but someday when we're moving we don't have to feel obligated to keep this cheaply made desk because we got it for free. That pretty much goes for all of our furniture. I can't wait for the day we can move into our own place and get some furniture that I love. That will be the best day!! So here's a little picture of our new furniture addition:
This was when we were moving out our make-shift desk and in the process of cleaning up the new one.
This is Quincy testing out the keyboard. He's enjoying getting away with touching it because he's usually not allowed to play with the computer stuff.
Here's the finished desk. I have to say it sure does help me to keep things organized; I can now put all my scrapbooking stuff in one spot where it's easy to get to, have a place for our games, there's a spot for our paperwork and our bills, along with a home for Tyler's work stuff. I have to say though...I wish when that we could put in a bedroom because I don't like walking into our place and looking at our office stuff. Overall it was a good find. :)
I have to figure out how to rearrange out furniture in the dining room to create the most space, but it also has to be functional. So far, this is all I've come up with.

2 comments:

lindquist said...

well just to let u know your mom and i only dreamed of a place that big and that NICE of furniture at your age ...maybe Q can rip off a handle or two for better affect and put some cereal in the hard drive or CARVE his name in it and blame it on... Hmmmm ... KATI
We love you ---grandpa

Jennifer P. said...

Hi Kati!--
Of course I know you! So fun to have people I actually know reading my blog! Just don't hold anything you read here against me.... :). I'm a wannabe writer, so it's kind of my creative outlet right now. All my computer friends and I have a good time :).

I loved your answers to my questions--and I hope you get to paint your heart out one day! I remember being so color "needy" in our apartment that I actually covered one wall entirely in gold foil star stickers!

Enjoy your hand-me-down desk! I think it looks awfully nice for being FREE! All the best to you!
~Jennifer