Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kati's version of the weekend we started dating....


In the months previous to Tyler and me dating, we had become pretty close friends. Ironically enough I can recall many late-night talks with my roommate, Kate, who had a serious crush on him. She would tell me how they had talked on the phone, watching South Park together, or when they hung out, or watched a movie, or whatever it was they had done that day. She was all about seeking out any moment to be around him. After all, who wasn’t? Tyler was always the sarcastic, wanna be player, but for some reason it brought in the girls by the tens. They were attracted to him, despite the fact that he might have showed them the slightest bit of attention. Perhaps, that’s why for so long Tyler and I just remained friends. I was the type of girl who liked, and was used to, being chased. I had never done the chasing and never had any real reason to. In more or less ways, Tyler was the boy version of me. He was used to having girls hunt him down and when he was tired or bored in a relationship, he didn’t hesitate to drive them away with his charismatic behavior.
He and I would talk about relationships; mostly he would tell me how he lost interest in girls really easily. I think that was what Tyler was missing from the relationship equation, a girl who actually captured his interest, and that’s exactly what I was. I was the girl who put up with his sarcasm, or sometimes inappropriate jokes, who made him dinner for no reason at all, who wasn’t afraid to disagree with him and most importantly, didn’t show the slightest bit of interest in him how most girls did. I was the challenge, and a smart girl knows that guys are competitive and usually can not resist a challenge.
One particular weekend in March (which one is still up for debate) Tyler’s family came here to school to watch him play in one of the playoff games for basketball. Tyler’s team was doing great that semester and so his family had come to show some support. Kate and I usually went to watch his games and so naturally we were there sitting behind Tyler’s family while he played. The game was great, and they won as usual. I knew that Tyler’s family was there and that they would want to talk to him after the game, and seeing as how I didn’t know what their plans were I didn’t want to interrupt, so Kate and I went home. A while after the game was over I decided to call up Tyler and congratulate him on the good game. I asked him if he and his family had any plans and he told me they were just hanging out in the hotel room that his parents got. I asked him if he and his brother Derek would like to come over for a little bit. Kate, at this point was over Tyler, but thought that Derek was cute, so I thought the invitation would be good for both of us. She could work her magic on Derek while Tyler and I talked. They came over shortly after we got off the phone and we hung out in our living room for a while. Soon enough it was “guys out” and they left.
The next morning our ward was having a breakfast and so we called up Tyler to see if he was going, and if he would like to drive. He said yes and told us he was going to pick up his sisters from the hotel. Before long Kate and I saw Tyler’s jeep parked out front of our window and we all squeezed into the back seat of his jeep with his two sisters, Heather and Kelly. When we got to the breakfast we ate some pancakes, eggs and sausage. After we were stuffed we went back to Tyler’s place to hang out for a while. Somewhere along the lines everyone decided that we should go to Green Canyon Hot springs. Tyler asked if Kate and I wanted to come and I said yes, but Kate declined, saying she had work. Tyler swung us by our apartment so I could get my swimsuit and towel. Then we (Tyler, Matt, Heather, Kelly, Derek, Ashley, and Mican) all piled in the Astro van with Tyler’s parents. When we got there everyone swam around, the girls mostly in the pool and the guys devising a plan to see who could jump off the diving board and touch this beam close to the ceiling. Although I had never really looked at Tyler with interest before that night, for some reason I did then. It must have been his lean body, sculpted muscles and full grown chest hair that dazzled me that night lol…. Or more realistically, it was probably that he looked like a kid having fun and he smiled the whole time they were jumping off the diving board. I liked his smile, and up until that moment, I had only seen it when he was making fun of me. After all the girls got tired of watching the guys jumping and none of them had succeeded in reaching the beam we all headed over to the “sauna pool”. Later the guys had came over to join us. This is when I was able to focus my attention more to Tyler. We all talked and joked and swam around, splashing water at each other and for some reason I was finding myself taking sneak peaks of Tyler. Somehow he ended up sitting next to me on the side of the pool and I found myself liking to be close to him.
When we had all decided that we were starving and ready to head back home, we got up to change in the locker rooms. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that I had worn my swimsuit under my clothes there and didn’t bring extra undergarments. So I wore my wet swimsuit under my clothes and hoped to get warm in the car. As we were driving in the Astro, I ended up sitting next to Tyler in the back seat. I was freezing, having the wet suit close to my body and kneeled in close to try and stay warm. It was then that Tyler put his hand on my back, and I realized that he had never touched me before. This was a big deal and I had an inkling that Tyler might have been feeling the same way I had at the Hot Springs. When reached Rexburg again we all went home to shower. Afterwards we met back at Tyler’s parents’ hotel room where we ordered in Little Ceasers pizza. When we were stuffed with pizza, Tyler Kelly suggested that we all go bowling. So we all piled into cars and headed over to the bowling alley. After finally getting a lane, we all had the chance to show our “moves”. Regrettably, I really sucked, but somehow it turned out great. Tyler didn’t seem to notice my lack of bowling skills, but took more interest in me as I sat on his lap while everyone else took their turn.
Later, when we were done bowling we headed back to Tyler’s apartment to watch a movie. There were two couches, one huge bean bag, and lots of floor space which everyone found their spot on. Ironically, I ended up next to Tyler on the bean bag. I honestly can’t tell you what movie we were watching, who was in it, what was going on, or even if I liked it, BUT I can tell you I loved being next to Tyler the whole time. We were snuggled up under a blanket and I couldn’t help but try and get a little closer to him. We both knew that a kiss would completely change our relationship and it truly did.

No comments: